The Department of Community and Therapeutic Recreation at UNC Greensboro offers a Master of Science degree in Parks and Recreation Management with a concentration in Therapeutic Recreation. Graduates of the program are prepared to enter professional practice as licensed recreational therapists in active treatment, leisure education, transitional treatment, and community-based leisure service delivery systems in psychiatric, rehabilitation, geriatric, corrections, schools, long-term care, adult day care, community inclusion, and pediatric and child life medical settings.

The program curriculum is consistent with the standards published by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification and the North Carolina Board of Recreational Therapy Licensure.

The Student Experience

  • All M.S. in Parks and Recreation Management applicants are eligible to compete for graduate assistantships and a limited number of tuition waivers. 
  • Directed practical experience in approved recreation and parks agencies is an integral part of our graduate degree programs.
  • The M.S. in Parks and Recreation Management requires 36 credit hours.
  • After discussing career goals with your advisor, you may choose either the thesis or non-thesis option. If you select the non-thesis option, the advisor will determine (based on amount of professional experience) whether you complete a project, an internship, or a combination of a project and an internship.
    For example, if you choose the non-thesis option and have minimal professional experience, you will be required to complete an internship. You must meet with your advisor or the Director of Graduate Study before registering for any course work.


  • Careers include
    • Parks and Forestry
    • Commercial Enterprising
    • Sports Management
    • Resource Management
    • Recreation and Parks Administration


  • An undergraduate GPA of 3.00
  • Current resume
  • Professional statement including career goals, and three references
  • Interviews are encouraged for all applicants, and required for graduate assistants. 

Based on experience, recommendations, and interviews, a provisional admission may be granted. Upon completion of 6 to 9 credits with a B grade or better, a provisionally admitted student may be granted full graduate standing.

Students in the Therapeutic Recreation concentration who do not have an undergraduate degree in Recreation and Parks will be required to take one additional undergraduate TR course (CTR 231 or 235), in order to complete the 6 required TR courses (18 credits) necessary to apply for professional certification and licensure. There are no undergraduate prerequisite courses in the CRM concentration.

Community and Therapeutic Recreation students work at the TR Lab

Request Information